Effective management of any procedure requires evaluation, estimation and displaying. Software Testing Metrics give quantitative way to deal with the improvement and approval of the product procedure models. Metrics analysis in software testing help association to acquire the data it needs to keep on improving its efficiency, decrease errors and enhance acknowledgment of procedures, products, services and accomplish the required objective.
What is metrics in software testing?
In other words, metrics used in software testing helps evaluating the advancement, quality and soundness of a software testing attempts. The perfect software testing metrics examples to understand software metrics would be a weekly mileage of a car contrasted with its optimal mileage suggested by the producer.
A software testing metrics generally passes on an outcome or an expectation based off the combination of information.
Result Metrics: The Software metrics in software engineering that are generally an absolute measure of a movement/process at completion.
Case: Time taken to run an arrangement of test cases in a suite
Predictive Metrics: A metrics for testing in software engineering that are subsidiaries and act as early warning signs of an unfavorable outcome.
Case: Defects made versus settled graph demonstrates the rate of defect fixing. This snatches the group’s attention if this rate is slower than the required rate.
Need of software quality metrics:
- To assess the quality of the present software product or process.
- To enhance quality of a product /process by consistent checking.
- Helps in taking decision based on software quality metrics.
Types of metrics in software testing:
It is critical to know the various types of quality metrics in software testing to measure the quality of software product. A manual testing measurements contains two different types of metrics in software testing – Base Metrics and Calculated Metrics.
Base Metrics: It involves the raw information caught by the test engineer during the testing procedure.
Few cases of Base Metrics are:
- of test cases
- of test cases executed
Calculated Metrics: It is achieved by changing over the information that is accumulated in Base Metrics into helpful data.
Few cases of Calculated Metrics are:
- Test scope
- Test effectiveness
Software testing metrics lifecycle:
- Identify and characterize the test metrics in software testing.
- Define parameters for assessing the software metrics in software testing.
- Explain the need and importance of process metrics in software testing to partners and testing team
- Educate the testing team about the defect density metrics in software testing i.e. require to be caught for preparing the metric
- Capture the required information
- Verify validity of the information caught
- Calculate the software performance testing metrics value
- Develop the report with powerful conclusion
- Distribute the reports to the partners, engineer and the testing team
- Take feedback for further upgrades
Test metrics and measurements in software testing is the foundation in evaluation and establishment for any business change. Software testing metrics is a Measurement Based Technique which is connected to products, services and procedures to supply testing metrics in agile projects for improving the products, services or procedures, if needed. Moreover defect metrics in software testing demonstrates level of Customer fulfillment, easy for management to process number and penetrate down, at whatever point required and act as monitor when the procedure is leaving control.
Thus, productivity metrics in software testing help association to get the data that is needed to keep on improving its products, services or procedures and accomplish the desired Goal as said by Tom DeMarco “You can’t control what you can’t measure”